Author Topic: 14b internal wastegate  (Read 799 times)

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« on: June 02, 2003, 12:55:38 am »
i know i've posted this before... but i wanna ask again and see if their are any new opinions on this..

i have my turbo all hooked up and working...  and it runs good til about 6psi... then my fuel setup (dsm fuel pump, vortech 12:1 fmu) kinda maxes out and i run lean... so i bought an s-afc and i plan to install that next weekend... however... even if i am running rich/good... i dont wanna be running 9psi all the time... i have the wastegate hooked right up to the intake plenum and it runs up to9psi... is there anything i can do to the wastegate to make it open at like 4-5psi? is there a spring inside i can hack/add?

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
14b internal wastegate
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 07:50:54 am »
You could try making an adjustable length wastegate arm.  I think that guy with the turbo mini van (Gus) did this and has a How-To page.  

All you have to do is cut the wategate arm in half and thread both ends for a long nut (don't know what it's called).  That way you can lengthen or shorten the over-all length of the wastegate arm.

I think that this may keep the wastegate open a little bit with no boost and open sooner if the wastegate arm is longer.

Try doing a search on CA DSM for an adjustable wastegate arm mod.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 10:57:32 am »
well... it will be open sooner... but it will still take 9psi to open it the rest of the way... its worth a try... does anyone know the specifics on the wastegate? anyone have a diagram of the inside or something?

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:59:15 am »
ahh.. i have an idea..

mount a spring from the wastegate diaphram to the wastegate arm... it will put a pre-load on the spring inside the wastegate.. and the wastegate should open sooner...  :D

Offline Ryan Lore

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 12:40:55 pm »
I really don't think AFC will help you... well it might for fine tuning but I'd guess your poor old pump can't keep up.

You're running a 12:1 reg that means for every 1psi of boost you're asking the pump to deliver an extra 12psi of fuel...

Hmmm 9psi boost x 12psi fuel + base 40ish  = 148psi of fuel.

Not possible.....
Even at 6 psi you're running 112ish, probably the pump limit...

I would look at using a 1:1 reg and AFC and larger injectors and doing it that way, assuming still, your pump can keep up....(as the pressure goes up, volume goes down)

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 01:32:39 pm »
the fuel pump is out of a 91 tsi AWD... i was running 450cc injectors but they were just pouring the gas in...  but with the afc, i should be able to put the injectors back in and turn down the duration ... its gonna take a lot of tinkering.. but i hope to get it running good.... i dont think the restriction is the pump or FMU... i think its the computer... its not supplying the duration i need... or so i believe... for the mean time ill get my boost down to like 5psi and i should be ok...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
14b internal wastegate
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 03:13:33 pm »
As for the wastegate question you might try getting a 6 psi gate or making your gate open at 6 psi then get a Profec B or similar (or "poor man's profec") so that you can up the boost from inside the car whenever you want.  This way would be much less of a pita than needing to get under the hood every time.

I was going to do this myself but then I realized that all I had to do to keep the boost from hitting 17psi it not to drive at WOT all the time :laugh:

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 03:18:58 pm »

i did this... i cut the rod, died it to 6mm... installed a spring, 2 washers and a nut... rewelded it... and it runs just below 5psi... i can adjust to nut back up to 9 if i ever need too  8)

works perfectly

i have no real need to run higher boost for now.. im on stock internals that are running 9.4:1 compression.. .so i have plenty of that... ill get a boost controller in the future when i build my block

Offline Travis Merrick

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 04:14:56 pm »
nice job Jordan, good luck you always seem to amaze me on your DIY jobs  :D
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Kimyee Lai

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 04:26:42 pm »
I suggest you double nut it, or you might start creeping back up to 9 psi.

Offline John Hartman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 05:32:31 pm »
Good job Jordan :)

I do have one ?? tho...  With that wastegate arm mod is it ever fully closed??  My arm was in need of a bending to make it shorter so that it was fully closed.  Before, I was always leaking boost out the gate, and it made for poor throttle response.  Now it hits like a kick in the ass :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 06:11:53 pm »
the nut has a little rubber collar on it, so it shouldnt move... i didnt make the arm longer, infact i made it about 1/16' shorter, so it shouldnt be leaking... i still have a little stumble around 6000rpm... but the afc should fix that

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
14b internal wastegate
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 06:28:01 pm »
Have you done any runs with  a G-Tech yet?
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Offline Jordan Gladman

14b internal wastegate
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 08:36:26 pm »
Quote from: "Jeff Armstrong"
Have you done any runs with  a G-Tech yet?

unfortunately not... i cant really go past 5000rpm without detonation... so it wont be all that fast... my s-afc should be here wednesday...  :D

ill have my car at the deas island meet this sunday if you wanna see it  :D