Author Topic: Surging idle?  (Read 520 times)

Offline Andrew Scott

Surging idle?
« on: May 09, 2003, 02:20:37 pm »
This just started happening yesterday, and its driving me nuts. When I'm idling, I can hear the engine sort of surging, and I can see my tach needle kinda moving along with the sound the engine is making.

Also my dash lights and headlights dim with the sound of the engine too, sort of like when you have your stereo cranked, and the lights dim with the bass.

I haven't changed anything since this happened, I just took a pretty long drive out to see lowell yesterday to pick up some parts...
It sort of reminds me of when my alternator was on the outs, same kind of symptoms... could it just be a loose alt belt? It seems pretty tight to me..

Any ideas?
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Surging idle?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 02:48:30 pm »
http://www.myzero.com/engine/surge.html

Hope its not your ISC.  Good Luck
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Surging idle?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 03:24:01 pm »
it could just be your alt dying again. If your lights dim with bass it means your using more than your alt produces. If you are always sucking more amps than it can produce it will burn out faster. Maybe you need a better alt.

Or maybe it's just your ground strap :laugh:

Offline Andrew Scott

Surging idle?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 10:09:14 pm »
Guess I'll go through that FAQ tomorrow... and it better not be my alternator, I just got it rebuilt like last month!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!

Offline Andrew Scott

Surging idle?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 11:09:24 pm »
Quote from: "Jeremy Clarke"
it could just be your alt dying again. If your lights dim with bass it means your using more than your alt produces. If you are always sucking more amps than it can produce it will burn out faster. Maybe you need a better alt.

Or maybe it's just your ground strap :laugh:

Well the lights don't dim with my stereo, they just pulse with the surging of the engine...

It also does it while i'm driving... and when I'm rolling to a stop in second gear, the surging gets really noticable