Author Topic: Need help Fast! Car won't Start!  (Read 545 times)

Offline Robert Gardetto

Need help Fast! Car won't Start!
« on: May 07, 2005, 09:06:59 am »
1G Plymouth Laser M/T Non-Turbo-Will crank but will not fire! Suggestions Please?
The engine grinds loudly but will not fire. Car has 170,000 miles on it.

Points that were checked already-Starter Motor, Battery, Electrical connections (not the fuses or relay's) Spark Plugs were Changed also.

The Chrysler/Mitsubishi Manual suggests the following to look into to diagnose the problem, refering to Page 29 in the Manual.

Probable Causes:

No fuel supply to injectors

Ignition system problems,

Vacuum Leaks- Purge Control Valve hose, Vacuum Hoses, Intake Manifold, Air intake plenum, Throttle body, EGR valve,

Conpression too low- Pressure is to read Minimum 137 psi across all 4 cylinders with a differential of 14 psi. Reading must not be below 137 psi on any cylinder for the engine to run or run correctly.

With this grinding noise I feel I am getting fuel and spark. Vacuum leaks I am not sure of yet, and Compression testing the engine has NOT been performed yet.

Where Should I look first to find the problem?
Should I consider getting the Compression tested first?
Should I look into the fuel System/Fuel pump, injectors, EGR valve or Vacuum leaks, Air intake, leaks from Exhaust manifold etc???

Looking for results not speculations! Plese reply back.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 09:47:23 am »
Did it just up and happen or did you do something first?  Like say wash the engine bay or get the top of the engine wet?  Or did it die when it was running and now won't start again?  Try and explain this "grinding" noise.  What's the cranking RPM?  Can you hear the fuel pump cycle?  What do the spark plugs look like after cranking for a while, fresh and clean or wet and stinking of fuel?  You can test a plug by removing it, sticking it in the wire and holding it against the intake manifold or something with a large thick glove while cranking, if there's nothing you've got no spark, if it's weak that's almost the same thing, if you get shocked you did it wrong.  Should be a crisp blue spark.  

Need a little more info about the usage.  Is this a daily driver that's been running fine and all of a sudden did this or has it been sitting in a barn fo 6 months or what?  Also which motor?  1.8 SOHC or 2.0 DOHC.  

If your CAS on the left side of the valvecover on a DOHC when you look into the engine bay is wet it's dead and the car won't run.  If your timing belt broke you've got bent valves and it won't have any compression.  If you did something under the hood before this happened maybe we can figure out what it is.  

Generally diagnosing no starts is like this:

Won't crank: battery or starter or starter wiring

Crank but won't start: missing ignition, compression, fuel or timing.  

General rool of thumb is if you can get the motor to turn over, have a half assed spark, some compression, some fuel and can keep it all sorta timed together it should at least run.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Robert Gardetto

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 11:53:38 am »
Mike,

Car is a 2.0 liter Non Turbo Laser RS with M/T. Car has sat for 1 year since I bought it, It has not run since I bought it for $200.00 as is.  Originallly to be used as a parts car for my other Laser but opted to try to see at least what was wrong with the car. Original Owner gave up on the car when it died and gave it to the used car lot I bought it from.

As I mentioned the Spark Plugs were changed last year so they are still good. Battery is new, replaced last week. Car Will crank but WILL NOT FIRE.
Car cranks for up to 4 attempts the nothing. My brother says the fuel filter is spewing gas but I did not see for myself. Gas tank is pegged at full.

Accroding to the Manual there are three options left to try, (See last Post) which one should come first?  I would think checking the compression and working back to easier problems like the fuel and so on would be the correct corse of action but am not sure on what to do to eliminate as the actual problem. What do you suggest I start with first. Reply back.

Offline Matt Park

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 02:24:04 pm »
is the gas a year old too?
97 GS-T

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 02:35:29 pm »
thats what i was thinking cause if it is, that shit will gum everything up that it touches, pump on forward...
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 09:40:57 pm »
Wanna sell it??  ;)

No, seriously, you have to check if you are getting spark and fuel.  And both at the correct time.

And if that gas is 1 year old, it aint gonna fire.  It looses all its aeromatics and turns to sludge.

Where are you located?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 01:52:59 am »
reminds me of when my ECU went in my laser. Take a look at that, mine had no spark or fuel. i poped in my spare ecu and it started running but not good cuz it wasn't the correct ecu for the car, i just used it to see if the ecu was toast.
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 11:49:21 am »
You need to check the plugs after cranking.  See if they smell like gas.  Gas at the fuel filter is all fine and good but if it's not coming thru the injectors it might as well still be in a supertanker in the persian gulf for all the good it's doing you.  These are "fuel supply" problems.

Also check the plugs for spark, new or not you still need to take a plug out, stick it into a plug boot and ground it against the engine then crank to see if it's actually sparking.  Do this with a heavy glove on.  These are "ignition system problems"

If you don't want to do it the ghetto way KMS should sell injector clip lights and something similar for the spark plugs.  

I've had cars run great on year old gas with no stabilizer or anything in it.  

Also check the t belt, if the car died because the t belt broke underneath the t belt cover than there's no way it's going to run.  I would check the plugs first for gas and for spark.  It's quick and easy and kills two birds with one stone.  After you take the plugs out put the compression tester back in and check the compression.  The upper timing cover is 3 bolts, just pull it off for a quick looksee.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Robert Gardetto

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 08:24:31 pm »
I forgot to mention the Timing belt is intact, Some have suggested that it may have skipped. I checked the tension and seems okay. I recieved the car in this condition so I am not sure what I got here. Trying to follow the Service Manual suggestions as best as possible.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 08:29:06 pm »
Spark?  Yes or No.
Fuel (coming out of injectors)?  Yes or No.

PM me with the answers to the above questions and I will unlock this thread.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8