Author Topic: TMO datalogging with USB laptop  (Read 361 times)

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
TMO datalogging with USB laptop
« on: May 06, 2005, 01:12:27 pm »
I have two laptops, an old Toshiba with serial port, and a newer Compaq that has no serial ports.

The Compaq never could log with those stupid (but cheap) USB to serial adapters.   Hours spent on the phone with tech support never resolved the issue.

My Toshiba now has a toasted battery.  So.......

So I bought a PCMCIA to serial card,  a Quatech SSP-100.   The TMO program found the ECU first try.  Works great.

While expensive (Vancouver) it was cheaper than buying another crappy old laptop, or a new battery for my crappy old laptop, if there even are new batteries for it.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:26:24 pm »
Good info.  It had never occured to me to get a PCMIA serial card for my newer laptop to use serial output.  Awesome.  I'm unsure of why they are so expensive though.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 06:15:54 pm »
Hey, good solution to a long-standing problem Chris. I had no idea they even made cards with serial ports. :wink:

I have the same dead battery problem on my logger. I just bought a cheap 175W inverter.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 07:00:30 pm »
Jeremy, I'm sure you knew they made such cards, as did I.   When I posted the USB adapter problem years ago on several different boards,  nobody came forward with the PCMCIA solution.

After being a$$-raped close to $80 for the USB adapter, and the hours of frustration that ensued,   I was very reluctant (at that time) to fork out double for an unproven/unrecommended solution.

I have a inverter too,  but if the car stalls, you loose everything, and  you have to reboot, and those old computers take forever......
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Mike Meron

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 07:40:22 pm »
i have a belkin serial to usb adaptor that works as well for TMO but not MSdos based proggys such as halteck
i am selling it  $30