Author Topic: I just damaged my rear quarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 592 times)

Offline Jason Naamani

I just damaged my rear quarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:36:44 am »
I just took out my freakin rear quarter on a cement post in my underground parkade trying to leave for school. It's pretty bad. The damage starts a couple of inches from the end of the driver's door, right to the wheel well. Where the wheel arch rolls under into the wheel well is no longer rounded, and looks as if I have dented the whole panel, upon closer inspection. The paint is a total gonner, it's scratched to shit and flaking off near the wheel arch. Does anyone know of a good body shop, or course of action to take under these circumstances? Please bear in mind that I am a student, and have limited funds. Unbelievable. 5 freakin years I've parked in the same spot and not so much as a scratch. I was just saying the other day that when one thing goes, at least 3 others do too  (passenger-side front caliper siezed, heater core gone, now this). Somebody please help me. I used to snap when my friends touched my car, because I didn't want them dragging dust and deposits across the clearcoat. Yeah, I'm REAL anal about that shit. So you can probably imagine the world of hurt I am in now. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks.
8 TALON TSi AWD

Offline Matthew Giene

Re: I just F@*KED up my rear quarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:51:34 am »
Quote from: "Jason Naamani"
Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks.

I am not sure what you are looking for.

Take it to a body shop and get it estimated.  

Or you can take it to ICBC and get them to fix it.  The latter will cost more in the long run as you will loose some or all of your discount.
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Jason Naamani

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:59:49 am »
Thanks for the start Matthew, I just wanted to know where you guys might take your cars (looks like you're no starnger to the body shop, judging from your avatar! :shock: No offense) when this type of thing happens. The only time I've ever had to get body work done in the 6 years that I've owned this car was because someone tried to steal it, and I had to get the passenger door, mirror and rear quarter repainted and blended. So needless to say, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to body work and things of that nature.
8 TALON TSi AWD

Offline Matthew Giene

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 11:03:55 am »
If you do a search for body shops on the board you will come up with a few.  There is a thread devoted to Body Shops.

If I could remember any I would let you know.

I have an uncanny ability to write DSM's off so I do not need body shops.   :?
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Jason Naamani

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 12:59:44 pm »
Sorry, I just panicked, and totally forgot about the search button. I'm going to take it to Craftsman Collision here in Coquitlam, and get an estimate. Based on what I've found, Robin seems to be quite keen on the quality of work they do there (the surrey location mind you, but being that its a large corporate chain means standardized operating procedures for all of its subsidiary locations.) If you have heard any horror stories about them, please let me know. I won't be leaving for about another hour. If not, wish me luck. Thanks.

I have an uncanny ability to write DSM's off so I do not need body shops.

That really sucks. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! :laugh: :?  :(  :cry:
8 TALON TSi AWD

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 01:16:37 pm »
Quote from: "Jason Naamani"
being that its a large corporate chain means standardized operating procedures for all of its subsidiary locations.)

Uhh...no.  By this philosophy you should get great service at any dealership if one is good, and we all know that's not true.  If you don't want to take any risks, go to the recommended ones from people who've actually BEEN there.  As before, I recommend Starlite.  They did good work for me.

Offline Jason Naamani

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 01:31:02 pm »
You're right, but I just thought Craftsman was a pretty reputable company. I've sworn off dealerships for good. Last time I took the car in for paint repair (attempted car theft), it took over a month to get it back from Coquitlam Chrysler. They're horrible there. With a company like Craftsman, paint and body work alone are their livelihood, and as such it would stand to reason that they would be more invested in doing work that at least met industry standards. But I will check out Starlite, as it would be prudent for me to obtain more than one quote from more than one shop anyways. Thanks.
8 TALON TSi AWD

Offline Jason Naamani

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 05:04:42 pm »
Okay, went to a couple of shops and got estimates. They are all in the $1000.00 range. I'm going to call ICBC and see whether it will affect my insurance premium, and if not, I'll claim it. What a day...
8 TALON TSi AWD

Offline Ricky Lim

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 09:11:49 pm »
I recommend AK Autoworks. They matched my paint perfectly and customer service was great!!!

Ivan Skare

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 11:14:26 pm »
Don't claim it.

Offline Jason Naamani

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 11:49:14 pm »
Quote from: "Ivan Skare"
Don't claim it.

Even if it has no effect on my insurance? I will inquire about it tommorrow, but if ICBC determines that it is within the bounds of my coverage as far as things like liability etc. go, and it does not affect my coverage (discounts etc.) then would it not be the more feasable choice to go that route? The estimate for the damage is way above what I'd pay in deductibles, so I'd save myself a few hudred. I'm not absolutely certain, but the gentleman who estimated the damage at one of the shops suggested it to me. Really, by inquiring, I am just exhausting all possible avenues. What have I got tto loose right? Is there a particular reason why you would suggest not claiming it provided the above conditions are satisfied? Thanks again for all the input!
8 TALON TSi AWD

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 12:18:17 am »
Doesn't hurt top enquire but expect it to effect your rates.  It should go on you collision coverage and knowing ICBC I really don't expect them to say something like "oh man, you backed your car into a pole real good, we'll fix it all up and it won't cost you a thing"  They're not in business to help you out and with a hit like that the raised premiums over the next few years will mean you pay for it all and then some.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 01:58:54 am »
just remember even if u don't get it done through ICBC it will show a record of your car having damage. They can't leagally release how much or what happened to it but it will show that the car was in an accident. If i were u i would bite he bullet and take it strate to a shop. I have a buddy that work at a body shop and they good very good work for cheaps. PM me if u want more info.

Good luck with the car
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)