Author Topic: data logger  (Read 352 times)

Offline Eric Mathews

• http://www.thingsthatgo.ca
data logger
« on: March 04, 2005, 08:43:04 pm »
how much do they usually run for? and are the one of those "must have for DSMers"?  i have been thinking about gettting one for a while cause i dont  know why my gas milage is bad, has to be cranked over alot at random times and i would like to know how everything is working cause the car is new to me.  thanks

Eric
986 MR2
2002 WRX

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

data logger
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 09:22:48 pm »
There have been posts in the past made about this problem as I remember. My advice to you is read VFAQ, almost everything you could incounter is in there and solutions to your problems. Read that and I'm sure you'll figure everything out. Datalogger is handy as hell, you can usually pick up a used setup ofr like 200, thats for a PDA and cables!
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline John Hartman

data logger
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 10:31:50 pm »
Extremely handy.  Once you do more than the simple free mods, its a must.

First purchace, boost gauge, second is datalogger.

You can get the cable for $50 or less, and a used Palm for that too if you look.

the software is free and getting better all the time.

Once you do, look in the "specs tech and reviews" under "existing support"  and there are some good ones.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Eric Mathews

• http://www.thingsthatgo.ca
data logger
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 11:22:37 pm »
ya i was thinking about getting one that comes with a screen.. cause i dont have a lap top :( ... but those are like 200-400 ish right?

are there any advantages to getting one like that?
986 MR2
2002 WRX

Offline Mike Schmid

data logger
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 11:26:04 pm »
That comes with a screen?  whaaa?  I just got back from the pub.  I have a palm m515 I think, all the palm pilots have screens.  The one I have is colour and backlit, I mounted it on the dash beside the rear defrost button and use it as a guage/quick engine checkup and it's awesome for that.  If you want it for more detailed logging/tuning a cheapo old laptop is better because it will show you more data without having to scroll up and down.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Andrew Scott

data logger
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »
I think I got a used palm off ebay for 20 bucks or so.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT